Cleveland Public Utilities reminds customers to look out for impostors in their neighborhoods

Submitted by sshockley on
CPP Meter Service Center employee Serena Scott

The Department of Public Utilities (DPU), comprised of Cleveland Water, Cleveland Public Power, and Cleveland Water Pollution Control, wants to make sure customers are aware of what to look for in the event of someone showing up on their property claiming that they are a DPU employee.

Your safety is important to us. Please review the tips below to recognize DPU employees coming to your home:

Cleveland Water Employees:
•    All water employees are required to wear clothing that has a water emblem or logo embroidered on
      the left front of either their jacket or shirt.
•    Vehicles are white or blue and are marked with the water logo on the door or side of the trucks.
•    All employees are issued Cleveland Water identification cards, and they must be worn and visible at
      all times while they are on duty.
•    If there is work being done near your home, an employee may knock on your door to notify you of
      the work and any disruptions to service, otherwise employees will only come to your home if prior
      arrangements have been made (investigations, meter installations, etc.).

Cleveland Public Power (CPP):
•    CPP employees do not need to enter a customer's home.
•    Employees drive white vehicles with the CPP logo on the door.
•    They wear shirts with either the CPP logo or the words "Cleveland Public Power" on the left side of
      the chest.

Cleveland Water Pollution Control (WPC):
•    WPC House Connection Inspectors (HCI) are the only employees who enter customers' homes.
•    Employees drive white SUVs with the WPC logo on the front doors.
•    Employees' shirts and hats will have the WPC logo on them.
•    HCI's are required to show their City identification, which has the WPC logo on it, before entering a
     customer's home.

If in doubt – dial 911 immediately:
•    Do not let them in – close and lock the door.
•    Call 911 immediately to notify your local police.