Pull the plug on festive decorating hazards!

Submitted by sshockley on
Holiday lights in downtown Cleveland

The holiday season officially kicked off last Saturday with the tree lighting in Public Square. It was great to be back on the Square, bringing light to our City and joy to our residents.

As you begin to decorate your homes for the holidays, whether its Hanukkah, Christmas, or Kwanzaa, Cleveland Public Power wants you to remember a few safety tips to keep you and your family safe:

  • When purchasing a live tree, check for freshness.  A fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree.
  • Cut 1-2 inches from the base of the trunk immediately before placing the tree in the stand and filling it with water to ensure water absorption.
  • Because heated rooms dry out live trees rapidly, keep the stand filled with water by refilling daily.
  • When purchasing an artificial tree, look for the label “Fire Resistant.”  This label indicates that the tree is more resistant to burning.
  • Don’t use electrical ornaments or light strings on artificial trees with metallic leaves or branch coverings.
  • Place your tree at least 3 feet away from all heat sources, including fireplaces, radiators, and space heaters.
  • Turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
  • Purchase extension tree lights and extension cords from authorized retailers. Never use a cord that does not carry the certification label of a recognized testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Intertek (ETL), or Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
  • Do not overload extension cords.
  • Replace cracked, frayed, or otherwise damaged cords immediately.
  • Keep all outdoor extension cords clear of snow and standing water and well-protected from the elements.
  •  Multiple plug outlet strips must be plugged directly into mounted electrical receptacles; they cannot be chained together.

However, you celebrate this season, and be safe!